The State Department of Transport is under the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing, Urban Development and Public Works all headed by a Cabinet Secretary. All the five States Department under the Ministry are all headed by the Principal Secretaries. The State Department of Transport is composed of the following divisions and technical departments;
- Air Transport Department
The department issues approvals for scheduled flights, develops and formulates policies and regulations which govern operations in the air transport industry including negotiation for relevant MoU's, BASA and International Conventions in the aviation industry. The department also facilitates rehabilitation and maintenance of airstrips and airport expansion and modernization;
- Air Accident Investigations Department
Aircraft Accident Investigation is a state function, obligated by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Convention to which Kenya is a signatory. The department investigates air accidents and incidents in accordance with Annex 13 to the Convention. These reports inform and educate the aviation industry, thereby preventing a recurrence of similar accidents and incidents.
- Shipping and Maritime Department
The department is charged with formulation of maritime transport and shipping policies coordinating and monitoring of ports development and facilities improvement, ratification of International Maritime conventions and maritime related agreements. The department exercises oversight responsibility over Kenya Ports Authority, Kenya National Shipping Line and the Kenya Ferry Services.
- Road Transport Division
The Road division is responsible for policy and regulations development on the road transport operations in the country. It provides oversight responsibility over NTSA.
- Mechanical and Transport Services Department: The core responsibility of the department is to provide and manage the mechanical, transport and plant services in the country. These services include provision of equipment for development and maintenance of infrastructure, technical consultancy and a wide range of mechanical services to the public and private sectors.
- Railways Division
The division is responsible for facilitating provision of efficient rail transportation services through policy and regulation development; oversight role on service delivery in railway sub-sector; coordinate railway planning and investment programmes; and implementation of LAPSSET (Railway and Lamu port components).
- Support Services
- Human Resource Management and Development
- Central Planning and Project Monitoring Unit
- Internal Audit
- Supply Chain Management
- Legal Office
- Public Communication
- Engineering Services Unit